Search | Active Topics | MembersWelcome Spectator | Log In | Register

Luongo's Ipswich Town loan cut short Options · View
Dill
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:10:20 PM

Weekender

Massimo Luongo's loan to Ipswich Town has been cut short after their new manager Mick McCarthy decided he was no longer needed, and he has returned to Tottenham Hotspur.

As a Spurs fan I've been following him closely, as I believe he is a future first team player for Tottenham as well as a future Socceroo. At Ipswich he started off really well, having a blinding pre-season, and he made a good start in the league. However as results began elude the side, he fell out of favour. Their new manager Mick McCarthy basically said that although he is a good player, he isn't the type of player that he needs.

Personally I'm quite surprised by this, because he is a very good footballer - a good passer, great at keeping possession and also strong in the tackle. In fact many Ipswich supporters feel he was their best player while he was playing, but I suppose that when you're a new manager of a side on the bottom of the Championship, a small, young player isn't going to be your ideal candidate for centre midfield.

While disappointing, perhaps it is best for his development - surely he'd be better off training with Spurs, maybe playing the odd cup game, before being loaned out to a team who play more of a passing game than Ipswich?
Eastern Glory
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:18:09 PM

Legend

Surely he lines up another loan ASAP! Good luck to the lad

Most of you aren't fans, you're just selfish.
shallow hal wants a gal
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 2:13:23 PM

World Class

very surprised by this, it seemed like he was doing very well there.
neverwozza
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:46:46 PM

Semi-Pro

Would a loan move back to an Australian club be an option for him?

”I have found out that staying in the middle, neutral is the best.”
Ali07
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:05:44 PM

Legend

neverwozza wrote:

Where would the best place be if he were to make a loan move to the HAL?

I'd say CCM, Roar, Heart, WSW, SFC, Perth, Jets, and the Reds don't need another CM/DM.

Wellington certainly need a new CM/DM...but doubt that they'd want to loan an Aussie kid.

And, at the Victory, we've got Celeski, Jeggo, Bru, Milligan, and Broxham for CM/DM spots. Don't think we should use our last spot on a midfielder when we more then likely need to strengthen the centre of our defence.

Can't see any HAL clubs wanting another midfielder.

@ali_saenz I don't bite Big Smile!
Voice ofReason
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 4:12:01 PM

Pro

He lost his place basically at the same time that they signed Reo-Coker on a free. Understandable as Luongo isn't quite at the level nor does he have the experience of Reo-Coker yet which I guess is something Ipswich need as they are now in the relegation spots.

Follow the stories of the Aussies playing abroad directly from the players as well as issues affecting football in Australia

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OS-Aussies/351362441566166

https://twitter.com/adamOsaussies

http://osaussies.com/
The-Far-Post
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:48:36 PM

Semi-Pro

neverwozza wrote:

Don't think so. Seemed to cut it at Championship level so surely there's a home for him around there or at a League One club. I believe he was travelling from London to Ipswich too, so upping and moving to Australia would be a big switch, especially for a loan.

shake 'n bake