Search | Active Topics | MembersWelcome Spectator | Log In | Register

New AIS head coach?????? Options · View
f1dave
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:46:48 PM

World Class

As a West Aussie I've only heard good things about Alistair's footy knowledge. Best of luck to them.

The true fan ridicules the bandwagoner.
The true fan blames the lesser fan for demanding entertainment.
The true fan blames other true fans for daring to criticise their club or FFA.
The true fan wonders why, after all is said and done, he is attending a match alone.
Aussiesrus
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:54:44 AM

Rising Star

What is your opinion on Vidmar's role now?

From what I can see the guy has great credentials but is really struggling as a coach and basically has no results and a big fail with the Olyroos and is now being appointed senior coach at the AIS. Adelaide's youth side is crap. In a nutshell apart from kissing Han Bergers butt what results does he have to show that he earns his position?

It's looking to me simply that Vidmar is Bergers muppet and is being stiffled by the Berger rubbish system. Every team male and female has now failed to qualify for the Olympics. Results are at their lowest in years. Are we to expect this continued garbage for the next ten years until someone wakes up and sacks the system?

Your thoughts...

Edited by Aussiesrus: 23/2/2012 10:58:42 AM
Decentric
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:13:35 AM

World Class

Aussiesrus wrote:

From what I can see the guy has great credentials but is really struggling as a coach and basically has no results and a big fail with the Olyroos and is now being appointed senior coach at the AIS. Adelaide's youth side is crap. In a nutshell apart from kissing Han Bergers butt what results does he have to show that he earns his position?

It's looking to me simply that Vidmar is Bergers muppet and is being stiffled by the Berger rubbish system. Every team male and female has now failed to qualify for the Olympics. Results are at their lowest in years. Are we to expect this continued garbage for the next ten years until someone wakes up and sacks the system?

Your thoughts...

In terms of results he has the runs on the board with the ACL result. Then again I'm not sure how much of that can be attributable to Phil Stubbins.

Berger says that al results below senior level should be seen in the context of development. I perceive Olympic qualification differently from what I did years ago. If we keep trying to play in a certain style, failure to qualify for a a few tournaments in the short term is a price to pay, if we play a more technical style conducive to winning international games in the long term.

Any country will have peaks and troughs in the talent pool. ATM we may have played against better Asian teams in our group for the Olympics.

These football issues are separate from FFA trying to dictate to constituents and their selection of players for elite programmes, which may be to subjective and smack of cronyism and nepotism.

When I think about it, the KNVB training I had was always imparted accompanied by the phrase that this is not the only way to play football. Every coach has to make their own decisions. Then again it was in the context of Holland playing a certain style for a few decades. The KNVB training relied on coaches being intelligent, and wasn't prescriptive. It should have provided more specific training drills IMO.

The way FFA are using the NC as being prescriptive is shocking in some parts of the country and counterproductive.
General Ashnak
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:17:03 PM

Legend

Aussiesrus wrote:

Your thoughts...

My thoughts are that Tony Vidmar and Aurelio Vidmar are different people, what are your thoughts on that?

Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

Laureano Ruiz wrote:
Let us say that you and I coach two teams with kids that are 10, 11, and 12 years old and all are about equally good. You try to teach them to play good football, a passing game and with tactical basics while I tell mine to only play long balls and try to shoot. I can assure you that [at first] I will always win against you, by using your mistakes. Break a bad pass and goal. If we however continue with the same training methods during a three year period, you will most likely win every game against us. Your players will have learned how to play while mine haven’t. That’s how easy it is.
Decentric
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:26:00 PM

World Class

Aussiesrus wrote:

Your thoughts...

A number of foundation A League players claim there is suddenly a lot of quality of young talent coming through the senior A League teams ATM. They haven't suggested why that is. The new FFA NC? They have said there is much more depth in A League squads. Senior pros are being pushed to hold onto places.

It is important to differentiate between the methodology of the FFA National Curriculum, which I think is essentially good, and the selection of prospective elite players through some of their suspect staff/state coaches, who haven't changed since 2000.

Aussiesrus, I'm sure you'd agree that a first three placing at the last World Cup was a creditable achievement? Spain, Holland and Germany all borrowed heavily on Dutch methodology.

My theory is that if Han Berger appraised ASA and Tony Basha's training methods, he would be impressed. There would be a vested interest going down the coaching hierarchy of FFA, where some FFA coaching stakeholders would use every ploy possible to dissuade Berger observing any successful private academy. I would imagine some would know Tony Basha and be envious of his success. Hence, he would be a real threat to a number of current coaches in FFA.

For argument's sake, if Tony Basha is just an average coach, ASA has some excellent scouting/agent contacts overseas. Even then, something must be going well at ASA for two EPL clubs to contract ASA players.
I've had one PM telling me that FFA would absolutely hate our FFE because we are beyond FFA's control.

Edited by Decentric: 23/2/2012 06:10:38 PM
Decentric
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:09:24 PM

World Class

General Ashnak wrote:
Aussiesrus wrote:

Your thoughts...

My thoughts are that Tony Vidmar and Aurelio Vidmar are different people, what are your thoughts on that?

True.

Aurelio is the current Olyroos and assistant senior coach.

Tony was the AU youth coach and now AIS coach. Is that right, General?
General Ashnak
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:58:08 PM

Legend

Decentric wrote:
General Ashnak wrote:
Aussiesrus wrote:

Your thoughts...

True.

Aurelio is the current Olyroos and assistant senior coach.

Tony was the AU youth coach and now AIS coach. Is that right, General?

Tony was the SASI coach and now AIS coach, Aurelio went from AUFC coach to Olyroos Coach & Socceroos assistant. Current AUFC youth coach is Michael Valkanis. Tony has actually gotten praise for the way he develops youth players and it was partly through his work with them that a fair number of SA boys have ended up with the AIS over the last few years.

Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

Laureano Ruiz wrote:
Let us say that you and I coach two teams with kids that are 10, 11, and 12 years old and all are about equally good. You try to teach them to play good football, a passing game and with tactical basics while I tell mine to only play long balls and try to shoot. I can assure you that [at first] I will always win against you, by using your mistakes. Break a bad pass and goal. If we however continue with the same training methods during a three year period, you will most likely win every game against us. Your players will have learned how to play while mine haven’t. That’s how easy it is.