Search | Active Topics | MembersWelcome Spectator | Log In | Register

Unknown teenager Chris Ikonomidis on verge of breakthrough in Italy Options · View
Joffa
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:54:10 AM

Legend
Libero

Unknown teenager Chris Ikonomidis on verge of breakthrough in Italy

BY:RAY GATT From: The Australian August 03, 2013 12:00AM

HAVING been living his dream in Italy for almost two years, Chris Ikonomidis had an inkling of the power and status of professional players in the Serie A.

But it wasn't until he walked into the car park of famous club Lazio that the wide-eyed young Australian was suddenly hit with the enormity of what confronted him.

"The first thing that hit me was walking through the car park and seeing all the spectacular cars . . . the Ferraris, Porsches and Maseratis," Ikonomidis told The Australian. "It was like a massive showroom."

Ikonomidis, who only turned 18 in May, might one day own one of those beasts after recently signing a three-year contract with the sixth best supported club in the Serie A, which he joined after spending 18 months with Atalanta.

The unknown teenager from Cronulla is also in line to join Paul Okon, John Aloisi, Mark Bresciano, Vince Grella, Frank Farina, Zeljko Kalac and James Troisi as one of only seven Australians to play in the top tier of Italian football.

"I'm still pinching myself," Ikonomidis said of his move. "I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, to be honest.

"The club has been very good so far and I just can't wait to start playing."

Lazio officials first spotted him playing for Atalanta in a youth tournament 12 months ago.

"Apparently they liked what they saw," he says. "They kept tabs on me and eventually moved to sign me."

Ikonomidis, who can play on either wing or as a second striker, first moved to Italy as a 16-year-old after Atalanta officials saw him playing for his Australian club Sutherland Sharks in a youth tournament in Manchester in England.

He played for the club's reserve side, impressing with his attacking prowess before attracting the interest of Lazio. The teenager admits it was tough in the early stages in Italy.

"I can't begin to describe how hard it was. I didn't have any family with me. I was pretty homesick," he recalls. "But being a professional footballer in Europe has been my dream since I was four years old and I was determined to stick it out.

"I was lucky to have had great support from my dad (George) and mum (Liz). They have been my inspiration."

It is that belief that could well see Ikonomidis destined for big things. "My goal is to make my Serie A breakthrough this season," he said. "I am determined to work very hard to achieve my goal."

Ikonomidis is of Greek heritage but will not switch his allegiance from Australia despite that loyalty being tested already.

"I was approached by the Greek federation 12 months ago, but I said no. I am 100 per cent playing for Australia if given the chance," he said firmly.

Ikonomidis has not represented Australia at any level, but Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon confirmed he, and the talented Raja Jimenez, who plays in Spain, will be in the squad to play in the COTIF Cup in Valencia later this month.

"They both appear to be very good young players," Okon said. "We have been aware of them for some time. It will be good to see them first-hand in this tournament."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/unknown-teenager-chris-ikonomidis-on-verge-of-breakthrough-in-italy/story-fn63e0vj-1226690471019
robbos
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:08:15 AM

Amateur

Cap him!!!
robbos
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:09:56 AM

Amateur

Actually, very good article, there have been alot of people on here that having been going on about him for awhile, I have not seen him play, unlike Amini, I hope he is as good as everyone says, being sign by Lazio is pretty impressive.
Davis_Patik
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 11:23:54 AM

Semi-Pro

Hardly unknown to us here but seems to be highly talented.
Great to see Okon is going to get him and Jimenez involved in the under 20 team.

"I tell you, when I was a boy, some of the worst kids in school were teachers" Tosh Lines, The Bill.

Please obey all the rules of the forum and help the moderators keep this forum as an enjoyable place for all.

Go Adelaide United.

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." Psalm 34:8
thupercoach
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 12:55:13 PM

World Class

Davis_Patik wrote:
Great to see Okon is going to get him and Jimenez involved in the under 20 team.
And QPR's Skapetis.
SocaWho
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:16:54 PM

Pro

He won't even get a glimpse of Brazil...

Too young, playing in a good league.

Two words only matter to Holger.

Middle East.

jonnyp wrote:

If a team is looking for a man with leadership qualities on which to model one of their own, they could do a lot worse than Terry Mcflynn

EPIC LOLZ
jonnyp
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:45:50 PM

Hardcore Fan

SocaWho wrote:

Middle East.

Hey Soca still using the sig i see-love it!
notatroll
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:50:27 PM

Hacker

Mate at Uni went to school with him. On all accounts he has the determination to excel, the right work ethics, and a humble and great guy. Sounds like a great future ahead of him...

notorganic wrote:
Best Troll: notatroll

paladisious wrote:
433 wrote:
lol
So pv4, TSF, Notatroll and Ducky all banned?

The Pyramid Putsch.

Campiones, Campiones! OLE OLE OLE!
Jon90
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:16:51 PM

Rising Star

Joffa wrote:

"I was approached by the Greek federation 12 months ago, but I said no. I am 100 per cent playing for Australia if given the chance," he said firmly.

I like this kid already.
JayEss
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:23:13 PM

Semi-Pro

Been impressed with how he has come across in the few interviews of his that i've seen/read. Good luck to the kid.
jack999
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:39:50 PM

Semi-Pro

SocaWho wrote:

Middle East.

Wow, how original. I don't think anyone on this forum has ever made a similar comment before. Roll eyes
GloryPerth
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:49:22 PM

World Class

x2 Jack999

article wrote:
Ikonomidis has not represented Australia at any level, but Young Socceroos coach Paul Okon confirmed he, and the talented Raja Jimenez, who plays in Spain, will be in the squad to play in the COTIF Cup in Valencia later this month.

"They both appear to be very good young players," Okon said. "We have been aware of them for some time. It will be good to see them first-hand in this tournament."

thupercoach wrote:
Davis_Patik wrote:
And QPR's Skapetis.

YIPEE! Dancing

Edited by GloryPerth: 3/8/2013 10:49:59 PM

Love you, World Cup Draw, love you!

SocaWho
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 12:24:04 AM

Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6Gt4nGOco

jonnyp wrote:

If a team is looking for a man with leadership qualities on which to model one of their own, they could do a lot worse than Terry Mcflynn

EPIC LOLZ
Lakey64
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 12:59:30 AM

Hardcore Fan

Well, he has certainly gone a long way since 3 years ago when he made this
sethman75
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 5:50:27 AM

Semi-Pro

SocaWho wrote:

Middle East.

Not Holger's type of player.

He has ability, plays and trains at a high level, under 30, and doesn't suck up to Holger.

Holger isn't interested
krones3
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 7:03:43 AM

Semi-Pro

Fantastic
Pity players still have to go to Europe to ge a shot at the national team but good on him.

Edited by krones3: 4/8/2013 07:04:40 AM
krones3
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 7:07:23 AM

Semi-Pro

What about the kid in Spain who is he playing for?
ryan2008
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:35:34 AM

Pro

krones3 wrote:
What about the kid in Spain who is he playing for?

Villareal - I think he joined the club at the start of last season from Atletico Madrid. He was in a dominant age group of players there, but apparently at Villareal they produce a lot more senior stars.
Proud2BeCanberran
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:43:37 AM

Pro

Very good signs that these youngsters are making the moves to big clubs from other big clubs. Ikonomidis from Atalanta > Lazio, Jiminez from Atletico Madrid > Villareal, even Ryan Williams from Portsmouth > Fulham. Certainly show that these clubs believe in their ability and believe that they will be quality players come a few years.

Looking forward to the development of both Jiminez and Ikonomidis whom we have only read promising reports about.

#InAngeWeTrust
SocaWho
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:44:57 AM

Pro

Lakey64 wrote:
Well, he has certainly gone a long way since 3 years ago when he made this

It seems his mate is better than him. I think the guy in the purple shirt is him.

jonnyp wrote:

EPIC LOLZ